Tomorrow (11 Feb 2012) is the first World Happy Day. Thousands of people across all seven continents, 60 countries and more than 600 venues will be watching the film HAPPY and begin their journeys toward healthier and happier lives. HAPPY is the winner of numerous awards and is the latest film from Academy Award® nominated director Roko Belic.
In Singapore other than just watching the film, you can consider making a donation to Operation Smile Singapore, an organisation that helps children in developing countries who are born with cleft lips and palates regain their smile through corrective surgery.
I have put up a permanent side banner on the right-hand-side of my blog to show my support for the good work being done by the team behind Operation Smile Singapore.
Quick Facts from Operation Smile Singapore:
- Approximately 1 in 500 children in Asia are born with a facial deformity.
- In as little as 45 minutes, one cleft lip surgery can change a child’s life forever.
- Children with facial deformities who do not receive reconstructive surgery often have difficulty breathing, drinking, eating and speaking. As a result, many suffer from malnutrition, medical and psychological problems.
- A cleft lip operation costs as little as SGD $360.
- Operation Smile Singapore is a registered not-for-profit organization registered under the Charities Act.
- Operation Smile Singapore is part of a global alliance of Operation Smile Foundations and Resource Chapters dedicated to providing free treatment to children and adults suffering from cleft lips and cleft palates.
- Since 1982, more than 115,000 children and young adults have been treated by thousands of Operation Smile volunteers worldwide and thousands of healthcare professionals have been trained globally.
- Operation Smile provides care for children in 51 countries. 9 resource countries raise funds and provide medical volunteers, while 42 program countries receive education and training and conduct surgeries.
I am happy to learn that NESCAFÉ® Singapore will be chipping in to support Operation Smile Singapore for World Happy Day tomorrow.
Mr. Valerio Nannini, Managing Director, and senior management from Nestlé Singapore together with children from Operation Smile Singapore will be giving out cups of NESCAFÉ® coffee at 313 Somerset in support of World Happy Day.
For each photograph taken of passers-by smiling and holding a cup of NESCAFÉ® coffee, NESCAFÉ® will donate 50 cents to Operation Smile Singapore. Nestlé Singapore wants to collect 20,000 smiles as they will be giving $10,000 to Operation Smile Singapore to bring smiles and happiness to these children and their families.
“A smile is a simple gesture that holds an extraordinary power that can light up happiness in another person’s life. It is very thoughtful of NESCAFÉ® Singapore to be giving our children a simple gift of happiness – to restore their smile on this day,” said Mr. Gary Loh, Found and Chairman of Operation Smile Singapore.
If you happen to be in Orchard Road tomorrow, do pop by 313 Somerset to show your support!
I have to work tomorrow, otherwise I will definitely be there. 🙂
About World Happy Day
WHAT: On World Happy Day – February 11, 2012 – thousands of people will join together in communities across the globe to experience the film HAPPY and begin their journeys toward healthier and happier lives. Join us for this worldwide event.
WHY: Happy People = Happy World
World HAPPY Day inspires action for increasing happiness in our own lives and in the world. A growing body of research shows that happy people are healthier and live longer. They are more likely to care for the environment and less likely to commit crimes or go to war. Happy people help others more often… and are more likely to find creative solutions. Increasing happiness benefits us as individuals and communities in infinite ways and is a goal worth sharing.
WHERE: Currently, there are screenings scheduled in over 60 countries all over the world including: United States, Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, Argentina, Italy, Scotland, Poland, UK, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Iceland, Japan, Singapore, China, India, Russia, UAE, and South Africa.
About Operation Smile Singapore
Operation Smile Singapore is part of a global alliance of Operation Smile Foundations and Resource Chapters dedicated to providing free treatment to children and adults suffering from cleft lips and cleft palates.
About Nestlé Singapore
Nestlé Singapore (Pte) Ltd, established in 1912, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nestlé SA, the world’s largest food company. Headquartered in Vevey, Switzerland, Nestlé employs over 270,000 people in factories and operating offices in almost every country around the world. Nestlé aims to be the leading Nutrition, Health and Wellness Company in Singapore. Nestlé’s range of products in Singapore include MILO®, NESCAFÉ®, NESPRAY®, Nestlé OMEGA PLUS®, MAGGI®, YANG SHENG LE™, KIT KAT®, FRISKIES®, PURINA® and dozens of other trusted brands that are household names and market leaders in their product categories.